Saturday, July 12, 2008

RIP, Bobby

Very sad to hear about the passing of Bobby Murcer. I won't turn this into a long-winded eulogy, especially considering not many people will come across this post, but I just thought a few words were in order.

Bobby Murcer seemed like a genuinely good guy. In a broadcasting world where dull, saccharine analysis is the norm, Murcer gave a game life. His observations were enthusiastic, spontaneous, and even comically bizarre (I believed for years that Bobby had taken a few nips of the flask before stepping into the booth). He always carried a childlike quality that reminded us that this was only a game; a wonderfully exciting and special game.

The reaction of those who knew him to the news only furthers the widely held belief that Murcer was the real deal. I watched (and listened) today as both Joe Girardi and radio voice John Sterling wept openly after being told of his passing. While many thoughtful memories have been and will be shared, hearing these voices crack left me believing in the goodness of Bobby.

And, while I never watched him play (or, at least, can't remember watching him play) I still get emotional watching a replay of Murcer slash that game-winning single against the Orioles on the day that his best friend, Thurman Munson, was laid to rest.
_

No comments: